A huge hat tip to my sister in law who made a version of these muffins for us when we were visiting for my nephew’s birthday recently. A delicious late breakfast treat with a cup of coffee. I love raspberries and I love oatmeal so these are perfect in my eyes.
1 cup oatmeal
1½ cups milk
2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
heaped ½ cup soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup honey
60 g unsalted butter, melted
1¼ cups (150g) raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 190c / 170c fan / gas 5 and line 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases
2. Place the milk and oatmeal in a bowl and leave to soak for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, sieve the flour, sugar and baking powder, then make a central well
in the flour mix
3. Mix the egg, the honey and butter together in a bowl, then pour into the well in the centre of the flour, along with the oatmeal and milk.
Stir quickly until just combined, before folding in the raspberries. It’s better to be slightly lumpy than overmixed
4. Dollop the batter into the muffin cases, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden, and gives a clean cake tester when poked. Leave for 5 mins or so before
transferring to a wire cooling rack.
5. Best eaten warm, although sometimes I think that’s just an excuse 😉