I know risotto isn’t top of most people’s simple, after work dinners, but trust me, this one is brilliant. You can sling it together in about 6 minutes, using frozen diced onion and then it’s on the table 20 mins later. No stirring, no slaving over a hot stove, just lovely rich warm yummy risotto.
250g pack smoked bacon lardons
1 onion, chopped
300g risotto rice*
half a glass of white wine (optional)
150g pack cherry tomatoes, halved
700ml hot chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
50g parmesan, grated
1. Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. Heat the Everyday RockCrok on the hob, then add the bacon pieces and start to fry them off until they start to colour.
3. Move the to the side and add the butter, allowing it to melt before adding the diced onion and cooking together for 5 mins until the onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add the rice and stir through until the grains are coated in the butter and bacon fat. Add the wine and stir in.
5. Finally, stir in the tomatoes with the stock. Stick the lid on and bung it in the oven for 18 minutes. The stock should be absorbed and the rice cooked through.
6. Stir most of the grated parmesan in the while the risotto is in the RockCrok but save a little for adding at the table.
*Most risotto rice you’ll find in the UK is Arborio, which is ok. If you can get Carnaroli risotto rice it’s very much lovelier and worth the effort to find.